Here’s a little trick that might come in handy for those that use Skype as a group messaging tool: set up the chat to only notify you about specific keyword mentions and mark other messages as read immediately.
This guide is for Skype 6.1+ on Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (untested on other platforms but might work).
How to change Notification Settings in Skype
- Open Skype and find the group chat you want to change Notifications for in the sidebar.
- Right-click on the conversation and choose “Notification Settings…”.
- A dialogue lets you set your Notification Settings.
- Notify me: default, get notified about every new message.
- Do not notify me: turn off notifications altogether – you’ll see new messages only if you go directly to the group chat.
- Notify me only if these words are mentioned: allows you to specify specific keywords for which you want to be notified about, separated by spaces.
- Mark unread messages as read immediately will clear the badge count on the app icon.
Props Joen Asmussen for the post idea.